7 Indoor Things To Do Today To Beat the Heat in New York
A dangerous heatwave is making its way across New York State this week. A Heat Advisory is now in effect for Niagara, Orleans, Northern Erie and Genesee Counties. Here's where you can go inside to beat the heat.
Temps were already in the mid-80s when I pulled into the parking lot at the radio station this morning. This heat wave that's moving across New York State is no joke.
Last night, my Nest thermostat told me National Grid was implementing an "energy Rush Hour" due to the high heat and high energy demand, and that it was raising my thermostat to 75 degrees for the next 4 hours. I made it three hours in before I caved and turned it down to 72. What can I say? This chunky fella doesn't do good in the heat.
If you don't have AC at home, or you don't want to stay cramped up in the house all day, here are seven places you can beat the heat indoors in Western New York this week.
1. Go To The Movies: There's always a ton to choose from. From summer blockbusters like Top Gun, and Thor: Love & Thunder, to the new Minions movie, heading to an air-conditioned theater for a bag of popcorn, and two hours of relaxing is the perfect way to beat the heat
2. Go Walk The Mall: Sure, going to the mall is so 90s, and walking the mall is usually done by people approaching their 90s, but when the temps are in the 90s it kind of makes sense. When's the last time that you actually went into stores and checked stuff out? So much of our shopping is done online these days, that a trip to the mall and a food court pretzel will take you back to simpler times, and you'll stay cool while you're at it.
3. Check out The Library: Get smarter, and stay cool all at the same time. An air-conditioned oasis of knowledge awaits you at your local library. And bonus, Erie county Libraries are now "Fine Free" if you find something that you want to take home
4. Go to the Buffalo Museum of Science: Get your science geek on, and kill a few hours in air-conditioned comfort checking out exhibits on artifacts, Biodiversity, Buffalo in Space, Bug Works, and more
5. Check out Explore And More Children's Museum: Buffalo's newest museum is the perfect indoor spot to take the kids this week. With exhibits focused on being a good neighbor, moving water, and playing together, the kids will thank you later.
6. Ride The NFTA Train: Buffalo's first street railway began operations in 1832 with horse car routes on Pearl Street. These days there are 13 stations on the 6.4-mile Metro Rail line, with five above-ground and eight underground. You can ride the above-ground portion for free, or get a $5.00-day pass, and waste the afternoon away on an air-conditioned train car.
7 Waste Time at Target/Walmart: No one says that you actually have to buy anything at Target right? I was there a couple of weeks ago with my 2-year-old, and we looked at toys, browsed the clothes, and well yeah she did eat a banana, so I guess we did buy something. But we wasted two hours in the stores taking in the sights. It makes for great people-watching, and it's air-conditioned!